Feb 23 2013

Northern Sons under the Southern Cross

PURPLE, WHITE and KHAKI

My research interest in particular is with the old boys of St Joseph’s College Melbourne (formerly St Joseph’s CBC North Melbourne) who became part of the nations fighting forces during the schools 107 year history.

Working from original handwritten registers my aim is to record the names and details of all past students who went off to serve their country beginning with  the opening of the school in 1903.

It all started during the last few years in the life of ‘North‘, as the school was referred to by its current and past students. I became interested in locating a 16mm film which was said to have been shot during the schools 1953 Golden Jubilee year. By chance when I was visiting North one day I came across a cupboard filled with dusty old equipment and odds and ends waiting to be thrown away. At the bottom was the film in question still in its metal can. To everyone else it was just junk but to me it was a golden nugget.

I had the film restored and transposed to DVD and although it only runs for around 12 minutes it depicts the school cadet unit, followed by other students marching out the gate and up Queensberry street towards St Mary’s Catholic Church, West Melbourne, for the grand Mass. Other sections show the officials leaving the church, boys in the yard and finally dignitaries lining up near the school’s handball court for a final photo.

THE HONOUR ROLL

At the school are five large marble plaques known as the ‘Honour Boards’ which name the College Captains, Dux of School and those who died in war. The names on these boards were my starting point for my research. Today I have identified 76 old boys who served in WW1 and have found one additional name for the Honour Roll. Likewise I have confirmed over 750 names of those who served in WW2. Eleven previously unrecorded names of past students who died while on active service between 1939 and 1945 have also been confirmed. A further ten have been identified as prisoners of war of the Japanese, some of whom toiled along the Thai-Burma railway, or, of the Italians and Germans.

Korea, Vietnam and more modern conflicts are yet to come as past students are still serving with the Australian Defence Force.

WORLD WAR ONE

The numbers quoted representing those past students who served in the army between 1914 and 1918 varies from 84, as listed in the 1918 Annual, to a figure of 102 as printed in a newspaper article for” The Argus”  of Friday the 19th of November, 1920. This database of 96 is based on the last known printed list which appeared in the College Annual of 1919. The reason behind the discrepancies is unknown and at this stage, lost to time. Some men enlisted too late to take an active part in war without entering training, others may simply have been seen at the recruiting depot, but due to rejection, decided it was better to move elsewhere.

♥   Denotes that this man died while on active service

Name

BRODIE, C

BROPHY, J

BUTLER, A

BUTLER, L

CAHILL, C

CAREY, J

CLARKE, G

COMAN, T

CONNELL, J

COONEY, C

CORK, F

CREDLIN, E

CREMOR, W

CROFTS, W

CROWLE, A

CROWLEY, R

CUSACK, F

DONOVAN, J

DUNBAR, Peter

DUNNE, V

EDWARDS, W

ENNIS, F

ENNIS, Leo

ENNIS, S

FARGHER, M

FEEHAN, H

FLANAGAN, M

FOGARTY, James

FOGARTY, J

FOX, J

GLEESON, A

GORRY, J

HAMILTON, J

HARDIMAN, K

HEALY, B

HOLLAND, L

JAGEURS, John

JAMES, W

JOHNSON, G

KERNAN, Edward

KIERNAN, Edward

KNOWLES, C

LARKIN, J

LAWLESS, J

LINEHAN, N

LINGFORD, Percy

LOUCHE, A

MAHON, Larry

MANNING, M

McARDLE, D

McARDLE, Frank

McCANN, F

McGRATH, J

McKENNA, J

McSWEENEY, E

McSWEENEY, F

McSWEENEY, J

MEALEY, F.

MEALEY, F

MINOGUE, T

MULCAHY, D

MULCAHY, J

MURPHY, J

MYERS, F

NOONE, L

O’BRIEN, Daniel

O’BRIEN, M

O’CONNOR, Michael

O’DONNELL,

O’KEEFFE, J

O’MEARA, W

O’RIELLY, L

PALMER, J

PARR, F

PEARCE, L

PLASTO, William

POWELL, G

POWELL, L

RAPLEY, Victor

ROCKE, G

RYAN, M

RYAN, T

SALEEBA, C

SHERRY, C

SHINNICK, W

SPENCER, L

STEED, Simon

SULLIVAN, Raymond

TIERNEY, J

TWOMEY, James

TWOMEY, W

WALKER, J

WALSH, L

WHELAN, T

YOUL, F

YOUNG, J

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS